My personal quest for the perfect chocolate raspberry cake had fallen flat for years, so I took matters into my own hands and concocted this chocolate layer cake with raspberry mousse filling and triple chocolate frosting from a wide array of recipes. The ingredients list is lengthy, but sooo worth the investment!
decadent chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling
1 4-layer cake
decadent chocolate cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake mix
- ½ package instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Raspberry mousse filling
- 1 jar Polaner All-Fruit, seedless Raspberry Jam
- 1 small box raspberry Jello
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
triple chocolate fudge frosting
- 10 oz semisweet chocolate
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 sticks butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup half and half
let’s make it!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease & flour two 9 inch cake pans (I prefer Wilton’s Cake Release– it works brilliantly.)
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat for 3 minutes. Mixture will be thick.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 30-35 mins.
- Cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely. Level the top of each cake with a long, serrated knife then cut each cake in half along its equator.
- Make the Raspberry Mousse as follows while cake is cooling…
- Place jar of jam in microwave for 30 seconds without lid.
- Mix jam and vanilla into dry Jello packet and combine well.
- Fold the jam/Jello mixture into the whipped cream. Combine thoroughly.
- With your cooled cake layers, continue on to assemble your cake as follows…
- Place one of the 4 cake layers onto serving plate and spread 1/3 of the filling onto the cake. Don’t spread it all the way to the edges b/c when the other layers are added, it will spread out a little bit more.
- Repeat procedure with two more cake layers. Top cake with the fourth cake layer.
- Place cake in refrigerator until ready to frost. The filling will firm up and hold the cake together after it chills for a while.
- While assembled cake is cooling, continue on to make frosting…
- Over a double-boiler, melt chocolates & butter, stirring until smooth. **Do not allow any water get into the mixture or it will seize up into a chocolate rock!**
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift powdered sugar & salt into a bowl.
- Combine half & half & vanilla and then add to sugar. Mix with hand mixer on low until combined.
- Add melted chocolate/butter mixture to sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Chill frosting for 20 minutes.
- Frost the cake & refrigerate. Remove from fridge to bring up to room temperature prior to serving.
CLICK THE THUMBNAILS BELOW TO VIEW LARGER IMAGES